A great recipe is like a great book - sometimes predictable, but always leading us to a spectacular finish. We create from a recipe an entire experience, and we would like to share that experience with you!
We are proud to represent farmers and vendors in a light that speaks to their passions and accomplishments. It takes hard work and perseverance to grow and create food that nourishes whole communities. We want to give our customers the inside scoop, thus building more bonds between producers and those in the food community. This is just one component of our farm to table concept.
Today, we launch our Family Recipe Series to welcome a delicious new year. We will be reaching out to our partners to obtain a special family recipe, and they will share the history and story behind it. So, stay tuned; you will be amazed by the delightful content we are about to share here on our platform.
This week we start with a family recipe from Winners Farms. Winners Farms is a local, Canadian family farm based in Surrey, BC. They raise and produce beef without added hormones or steroids, and their animals are fed locally-grown forages. Check out their great selection of beef products, including raw dog food, on our website /. Here is their family recipe, let us know what you think!
This baked penne recipe has been in our family for decades. The meat sauce’s heartiness paired with the creamy roux makes it a favourite among our family, especially after working long days in the cold fall and winter months. This meal is a delicious one-pot stop that tastes just as great the next day. Best enjoyed with a glass of red wine and some fresh garlic toast, this recipe is sure to be a winner at your next gathering.
1 lb lean ground beef
¼ cup of water
¼ teaspoon basil
Dash of pepper
1 garlic clove
1 cup crushed tomatoes
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ celery stalk
2 cups penne pasta
1 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup grated mozzarella cheese
¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to boil on high heat with salt.
- Add pasta and stir.
- Cook until al dente.
- Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Mince garlic, carrot, celery. Chop onion.
- Sauté in olive oil on medium heat.
- Add meat and cook until brown.
- Add basil, pepper, and salt. Add crushed tomatoes and water.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring every 6-7 min on low heat.
- Remove from heat and add cooked pasta.
- Melt butter in a pot on low heat. Add flour to make the roux. Remove from heat.
- Add 4 tablespoons of milk to the roux to make a creamy paste. Mix until smooth, then add remaining milk and return to heat on low until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 375⁰F.
- Grease 9-inch pan.
- Grate parmesan cheese and add to béchamel sauce. Add salt.
- Remove from heat once stirred.
- Add 1/3 meat sauce to a 9-inch pan and spread evenly.
- Add 1/3 cream sauce and spread evenly.
- Add 1/3 cheese mixture and spread evenly.
- Repeat steps 1-3 twice.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes.